Welcome to babelize.org - pppd-sql
pppd-sql is a plugin for the Point-to-Point server (pppd) on Linux and Solaris which adds an authentication backend using a MySQL or PostgreSQL database for Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP) and Password Authentication Protocol (PAP). It supports MS-CHAPv1 and MS-CHAPv2 too. The IPCP negotiation after authentication handshake is also supported.
Why did you start this project?
I was seeking for a common way to integrate poptop with ppp and MySQL. Also I want to learn some basics of using the MySQL C-API and because of that I added PostgreSQL support too.
What exactly is pppd-sql?
It is a plugin for the PPP server which adds database authentication support.
What is needed?
Below you find a list of things which are required to run pppd-sql successfully.
1. You need ppp >= 2.3.10 and for compiling pppd-sql the header files.
2. You need mysql >= 4.1.7 and for compiling pppd-sql the header files.
3. You need postgresql >= 8.1.1 and for compiling pppd-sql the header files.
4. You need openssl >= 0.9.7 and for compiling pppd-sql the header files.
What should i download?
Download the most recent version of pppd-sql here. If you want an older version take a look at the download directory. Notice: The version 0.1.0 was the first public release. The changelog can be found here.
How do i install it?
Installation is simple, just follow the steps below. pppd-sql uses autoconf and automake to detect and setup a working built environment.
1. Download pppd-sql-0.8.0.tar.gz from above.
2. tar xzf pppd-sql-0.8.0.tar.gz && cd pppd-sql-0.8.0
3. ./configure && make && make install
How to get bleeding edge sourcecode?
If you are crazy enough you can test the development version. When asked for a password, just hit enter. A directory named 'pppd-sql' will be created.
svn co https://babelize.org/svn/pppd-sql/trunk pppd-sql
You can later update your sources by saying
svn update pppd-sql
You can view the subversion repository at